TIME: Week 2, January 2016

PLACE: Cider Isle

CIRCUMSTANCE: Visitors from Hell

We’ve been busy making endless phone calls – tradespeople, dam people, tree people – and then we get to the end of the day and have to go shopping. Since we don’t have a fridge and our puny chilly bin is not so great on keeping things cool, we have to shop every day for food and ice. Plus we don’t have a pantry. But finally our goods arrive and the shed is filled up with boxes and furniture. Once we get the sea container – to be delivered next week – we will live around the boxes, but the first thing to be set up is our bed! Ahhhh….sweet…a proper mattress.

Amongst our things is our fridge, a generator and a ladder. But who said we were allowed to have things easier?

Firstly, the generator won’t start and so we can’t run the fridge. Looks like we’re going to have to take the generator in for a service. Secondly, our longest ladder is not long enough to reach to the top of the shed roof so we still can’t block up the hole. And talking about holes, I know a shed is not meant to be a house but it’s not until two things happen that you realise how many entrances and exits there are in a shed: 1) when the wind blows, and 2) when an unprecedented number of spookies walk in at will. (Spookies are…ugh! I can’t even type the word! Errgh! This is the one thing I’m really pathetic about…I DON’T DO 8-LEGS! Especially this humongous kind that keep running all over the place and dropping down from above! Aaahhhh!!!) I attempt to get some sympathy but my grown-up daughter just tells me about karma and to ‘get over it’, so I just quote back to her one of her favourite comments she’d give me when she was growing up: ‘Yeah right’.

The first good thing about this week was that we got our contents delivered, but the second was that I found a little tree, a ginkgo, still alive from our 2012 plantings. In 2012, we planted a lot of ornamental trees but we were very naïve. We thought that, because this was Tasmania, they would get enough rain and survive in our absence. But we learnt the hard way; they did not survive and we began to realise how dry it is. I was so thrilled to find this little guy alive!


2 thoughts on “

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s